Integrating your Work Items
A key feature of Ossum is the integration of your Git repository with the work items on your plan. The primary way this is achieved is by referencing the ID of one or more work items in the text of the commit message for your commits. There are several UI features you get when you do this:
- Work items appear in the UI anywhere you can view a commit
- Work items appear in the UI for merge requests
- If the DevOps feature is used, then the status of build jobs will appear on the cards that were referenced by the commits that triggered the build.
There are also some UI features to assist with using this feature:
- The create branch dialog allows you to select a work item and it will insert the selected work item ID into the branch name.
- When saving an inline edit, you can select a work item and this will initialize the commit message with the work item ID and title.
- When creating a merge request, if the source branch contains a work item ID then Ossum will recognize this and pre-populate the commit message with the work item ID and title.
- When creating a merge request, you can also select one or more work items and Ossum will pre-populate the commit message appropriately.
The integration of commits and work items does not require any configuration and will "just work". However, you may want to enforce the usage of this feature. In other words, disallow any commits that do not reference a valid work item. This enforcement can be configured for an individual repository in the Repository Settings.